Newcastle trip up in big derby clash

Newcastle trip up in big derby clash

15 February 2012

REVENGE is sweet, doubly so for Ballynahinch United as they came away from Shimna having put to bed the football lesson they were given, by Newcastle at Millbridge in the second game of the season,

However, more importantly, they went home with the three points and did their fight to stave off relegation a power of good. Both teams began in confident fashion, the home side endeavouring to work the ball from defence through midfield to front two of Allister and Hogg.

The visitors used long balls and the pace of their two wide men, looking to get in early crosses in the hope of exploiting a hesitant back line.

In the 20th minute a perfectly measured through ball sent McMullan racing clear on goal, fortunately for Newcastle, goalkeeper Harrison, was alert to the danger, coming out and sliding in to make the tackle and clear.

As the half progressed the visitors began to look the more likely to break the stalemate and so it was in the 32nd minute a through ball up the left and in making the tackle Murray was adjudged to have brought his opponent down.

From the resultant penalty United went ahead through Alan Paterson. The game ebbed and flowed to the interval with neither ‘keeper being made to defend his goal.

Early exchanges in the second period indicated that the visitors were up for this game and wanted it more than the seasiders and their route 66 football from the ‘keeper out was causing a lot of problems for the home defence.

Within 15 minutes of the restart Newcastle were forced to replace midfielder Corr, causing a reshuffle in defence and midfield and in the 67th minute Ballynahinch capitalised on the change.

The ball was quickly dispatched down the left, sending young Majury clear and from his low cross into the box Gareth McMullan rifled home goal number two.

Newcastle were still playing good football, but it was too slow and they were dwelling on the ball and being caught while Ballynahinch were buoyant, buzzing, their tails were up and in defence they had stalwart Ross Hayes driving them forward, refusing to let them rest on their laurels.

In the 78th minute it was game over, a ball down the middle into the goal area, defenders and attackers alike converging on Harrison and despite making the save at Jonny Stevenson’s feet, the ball somehow squirmed out from the melee and over the line.

Newcastle staged a brief last challenge with a shot from Hogg well saved by McMullan and a header from Allister equally dealt with.

Newcastle 0

Ballynahinch United 3