Lee leads Darragh to win over Drumaness

Lee leads Darragh to win over Drumaness

17 May 2017

BOTTOM-PLACED Drumaness travelled to third from bottom Darragh Cross on Friday evening for the sixth round of matches in the Division 2 season.

It was a slow start to the game with the slippery conditions making for several handling errors, and defences on top early on. 

The first score came after six minutes following a Matty Hardy mark, with the ball being worked into Anton McGrattan who curled over for the home side. 

Hardy then swung over a good score after Oisin McConvey fielded the kick-out, but Drumaness were right back in the game minutes later.

Corner forward Nathan Jones blasted over a point, and when the Cross defence failed to clear the danger from a goal chance Jones was on hand to slide in the opening goal for Drumaness.

Lee Morrison pointed a free at the other end before the visitors hit the net again, with Donal Kennedy this time on hand to fire low to the net.

Darragh’s defence was in disarray, but it did tighten up for the remainder of the half to hold Drumaness scoreless until ten minutes into the second half. 

A free from Marcus Miskelly was converted to leave Darragh three behind before points from play by McGrattan, Morrison, Hardy, McGrattan again and Michael Monan, leaving Darragh two points ahead. 

Miskelly added another free, and a fine score from a narrow angle on the right to leave the half time score Darragh 0-11 Drumaness 2-1.

Two close range frees were converted by Lee Morrison early in the second half to keep the scoreboard ticking over for the home side, before a Gary Murdock free for Drumaness. 

A direct run through the middle by Shane Murray created a chance for Marcus Miskelly to curl over before Ryan Walsh tagged on a point at the other end to keep Drumaness in touch, just five behind.

Darragh’s Conleth Morgan struck a post after a powerful shot. Darragh won a free when the ball rebounded out and Morrison again converted. 

Donal Kennedy hooked over a score for Drumaness, but Darragh had always looked comfortable since the latter stages of the first half, with the early goals conceded a wake-up call.

Their defence was now looking more solid and players all over the pitch were working harder to hassle any Drumaness players in possession.

The Cross added four unanswered points from play through Morrison, Monan, and two from Jarlath Flynn. Nathan Jones scored a late consolation point for the visitors as Darragh saw out their second win in a row. 

James Murray had a fine game for the hosts, covering lots of ground in defence and getting forward to start attacks. Matty Hardy and Shane Murray had the better of the midfield battle, while the work rate of Lee Morrison was impressive, and Anton McGrattan and Marcus Miskelly wre threatening in attack. 

Drumaness had good performers in Neil McAleenan, Donal Kennedy and Nathan Jones.

Darragh Cross: Rory Miskelly, Jono Hardy, Paddy Branney, Stephen Brannigan, James Murray, Oisin McConvey, Eamonn Sweeney, Matty Hardy (0-2), Shane Murray, Daryl Heaney, Michael Monan (0-2), Mark McMahon, Lee Morrison (0-6, 4f), Marcus Miskelly (0-4, 2f), Anton McGrattan (0-3). Subs used: Conleth Morgan, Jarleth Flynn (0-2), Tom McMahon, Rossa Keown.

Darragh Cross 0-19

Drumaness 2-5