Derby day delight for Mills as Olympic fail to compete

Derby day delight for Mills as Olympic fail to compete

9 January 2019

BALLYNAHINCH Olympic fell to their first home defeat of the season at Kilmore playing fields when an understrength Drumaness outfit plundered all three points.

The Mills had to field without goalkeeper Ryan Campbell, Tommy McConville, Stevie Deegan, Stefan Mason and Rory Mason, while Olympic were missing the Noade brothers, Jason and Ryan, from their cup final squad.

Mills manager Dessie Campbell opted for a 3-5-2 formation to match up with Olympic’s tried and trusted system and the switch worked a treat with the visitors denying Liam Sloan’s side any space to work in down the flanks.

Things didn’t start that well for Drumaness as they were a goal down after only six minutes. Niall Murray broke down the left flank and when Neil Teggart moved in to challenge him, the ball broke across the face of the goal where Ryan Molly had a simple tap-in.

Undeterred, Drumaness went for broke and they gave strikers Ruairi Fitzpatrick and the recalled Gavin McEvoy — making his first team debut for the season — plenty of ball to work with.

With eight minutes gone a mazy run from Fitzpatrick ended with the ball being tucked away by Michael McGarrity for a deserved equaliser. It was all the Mills now and with 15 minutes gone Michael Magee converted from the penalty spot after Conor McCarron had been fouled. 

Ballynahinch Olympic tried desperately to get back on level terms, but the Mills back three of Gary Murdock, Mark Holland Neil Teggart gave nothing away.

The game became a bit bogged down in the middle of the park with Magee, McCarron, Charlie Holland, Caolan Corrigan and McGarrity more than holding their own against Molloy, Stevie Noade and Conor Reid and as a result, chances were few and far between at either end.

However, midway through the second half the Mills jumped into a 3-1 lead when a shot from McEvoy took a deflection and left ‘keeper Ryan Walsh stranded.  

The Mills could well have increased their lead, with McCarron going close on a couple of occasions at one end and Murray testing Mark Armstrong at the other.

The game was in added time when Murdock was adjudged to have fouled Murray in the penalty area and the same player made no mistake from the spot to make it 3-2.

Time was not on Olympic’s side and the Mills were able to see out the remaining minutes with an air of authority.

Ballynahinch Olympic 2

Drumaness Mills 3