Carryduff power past game Bryansford side

Carryduff power past game Bryansford side

6 December 2017

CARRYDUFF lifted the Patrick Dinsmore Cup in style when they contained a lively Bryansford side in the Down U-21 FC final at Pairc Tomas Ruiseil, Dwonpatrick, on Sunday afternoon.

A committed Bryansford gave their all over an exciting 60 minutes of non-stop action, but Carryduff’s greater scoring threat saw them claim a deserved eight-point victory.

Carryduff stormed into a 0-2 to 0-0 lead after just two minutes with scores from James Guinness and Josh Connery. Sean Og Kelly registered Bryansford’s first score from a free in the third minute, but this was quickly cancelled out by Ronan Beatty’s point from play.

A spate of bookings followed as exchanges heated up, but with nine minutes gone Daniel McKibben brought Bryansford to within a point with a well-taken score. James Guinness and Daniel McKibben swapped scores before Carryduff hit the jackpot when Beatty scored the first of his two goals after Marc Reid saved Callum McDonald’s initial effort.

Two Kelly frees at the end of the first half had Bryansford back in contention and the game would have been even closer had Keelin O’Higgins’ pointed effort not hit the woodwork. As it was, Carryduff went in at the break with a 1-4 to 0-5 lead.

Bryansford threw the kitchen sink at Carryduff on the restart, but they got little change out of a resolute Carryduff defensive line and had to wait until the 35th minute for their first score from Daniel McKibben to leave a point in it.

Carryduff then survived a frenetic goalmouth scramble when a Daniel McKibben free ped short, but ‘keeper Mark Hynds and Patrick McConnell did exceptionally well to clear the danger.

James Guinness and Daniel McKibben swapped frees before Beatty tagged on another Carryduff point with the goal at his mercy.

Carryduff were now picking Bryansford off at will and a Dara Connolly point in the 47th minute eased them into a 1-8 to 0-7 lead.

Further points from Daniel Guinness, Beatty and Caolan Cunningham stretched Carryduff’s lead to seven points by the 53rd minute and there was no way back for Bryansford.

To their credit, Bryansford kept plugging away and a Ryan O’Higgins point left six points between the sides with five minutes remaining.

Any thoughts Bryansford had of a late comeback were quickly dispelled when danger man Beatty netted his second goal after Josh Connery had carved out the opening.

Bryansford grabbed the last score of the game when Daniel McKibben lofted over another point, but it was scant consolation as an amalgamated Carryduff outfit prepared to be crowned county champions.

Carryduff: M Hynds, J McGeogh, P McConnell, G Henderson, S Reilly, P Laverty, D Rooney, J Guinness (0-4f), J Connery (0-1), O McCabe, D Guinness (0-2), C Rooney, R Beatty (2-3), D Connolly (0-1), M Lawson. Subs: O McConvey for Lawson, C Cunningham (0-1) for D Rooney, D McCartan for McCabe, R Reilly for C Rooney. 

Bryansford: M Reid, C McGuinness, N Doran, A Ward, K O’Higgins, R McInerney, C Laverty, T McKibben, J Yarr, S Og Kelly (0-4f), P Brannigan, F Canavan, D McKibben (0-4, 3f), C McDonald, S Kinley. Subs: J Savage for Kinley, R O’Higgins (0-1) for McDonald, R Quinn for McInerney.

Carryduff 2-11

Bryansford 0-9