BJ’s double lands Rec crucial win

BJ’s double lands Rec crucial win

7 February 2018

KILMORE Rec’s move away from the 1A relegation zone gained momentum when they won a crucial basement battle with Orangefield Old Boys at Robert Adams Park.

This result was just what the doctor ordered and comes hot on the heels of their recent derby victory over Killyleagh — two wins that see Kilmore move out of the bottom three with all to play for in their remaining nine games.  

The hunger and passion displayed against Killyleagh was still there, as Orangefield found out to their cost.

The visitors started brightly enough and ‘keeper Chris Turley, who must be in the reckoning for a place in the Amateur League Rosebowl team, did well to keep out a stinging effort from Jordan Boyd after just three minutes.

It didn’t take Kilmore long to get into their stride and three minutes later they seized the moment. The impressive Thomas Macklin and BJ McMenamin, a real handful, carved out an opening down the right for Peter Casey and his daisy cutter of a cross was converted by a grateful Matthew McGarrity with his first goal for the club since joining from Drumaness.

With eight minutes gone McMenamin was out of luck when he latched onto a perfectly-placed free from Larry McGonagle and with 16 minutes gone Macklin created a chance for Casey, but he was denied by a good save from Gary Taylor.

Kilmore continued to turn the screw and Gary Stranney was put clear by McMenamin, but a heavy first touch as he entered the box left him with too much to do. With 20 minutes gone McMenamin had another effort saved before he did make it 2-0 four minutes later when he beat the offside trap to get on the end of a Macklin pass and drill the ball past Taylor.

Kilmore could easily have taken the foot off the pedal, but they were happy going forward and with 32 minutes gone McMenamin was denied a second goal by an alert Taylor.

Little was seen of Orangefield in attack, but with 37 minutes gone Michael Murphy produced a perfectly timed last-ditch tackle to deny Boyd a certain goal after he broke into the box.

Kilmore finished the half on top and Casey should have made it 3-0 on 45 minutes, but Taylor saved Orangefield’s bacon with a good stop.

The second half didn’t have the same intensity about it as Orangefield attempted to stifle McMenamin and they had a fair amount of success in denying him possession, but they were still firing blanks at the other end with Turley equal to anything they could mount. Chances fell to Jonathan Harper, Boyd and Stuart Nelson, but none taken as Kilmore weathered the storm. 

Casey went close to making it 3-0 in the 68th minute when he reacted well to a Mackiln cross, but he was inches wide at the near post, but the third goal wasn’t long in coming.

The Orangefield defence shot themselves in the foot when they dithered and dallied in clearing the ball and McMenamin pounced between them to somehow hook the ball over everyone from 45 yards out for a goal of the season contender.

With 84 minutes gone McMenamin missed an absolute sitter to complete his hat-trick, but the ball bobbled up as he pulled the trigger with only the ‘keeper to beat and the ball ballooned over the bar.  

Orangefield added a touch of respectability to the final score when Nathan Khan scored from the penalty spot in the 90th minute.

Kilmore have a free week this Saturday before entertaining league leaders Islandmagee the following weekend.

Kilmore Rec: C Turley, M Murphy, M McGreevy, J Larkin, L McGonagle, E McGrattan, T Macklin, M McGarrity, P Casey, B J McMenamin, G Stranney. Subs: E Boyle, R McDonnell, M Stewart.

Orangefield Old Boys: C Taylor, M Getty, D McQuillan, M Houston, L Cunningham, A Boyd, S Nelson, N Whan, J Hodge, J Boyd, R Moore. Subs: S Moore, G Harper, G Arthur.